ALLY THIS: A how-to drive your OWN guild into the ground before a game is released.

Discussion in 'Front Page News' started by tr1age, Aug 13, 2012.

1. tr1age

tr1age [Community Leader] Butterflies!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +3,245
    A hot topic lately has been guilds forming Alliances between the servers on each server and even cross server for WORLD (v world) DOMINATION!!

[​IMG]

In other traditional MMO's there is usually an enemy depending on what faction you chose in game, but in Guild Wars 2 you are fighting to res your fallen comrade, rather than killing them as your only Player Enemy is that of other servers. So with this shift in thinking and the Guild Wars 1 game element of alliances and "guild wars"... People have taken to the forums, message boards, blogs, Facebook, and even sites created specifically for servers to quickly make alliances!

There is only one problem here... the game isn't out.

So take this eagerness to be "friendly" with everyone on your server, forming groups of people who are allies, mix it with your own guild trying to get to know one another, mixed with drama that comes with theory crafting REAL LIFE instead of game mechanics and scenarios that are currently happening in game... and well you get a cocktail for disaster.

You get servers who get very territorial about who comes and joins them. The initial push to make alliances quickly wears off after you have made those contacts and gotten to know so many people. Your brain begins to get overwhelmed and shut down at the idea of new members, not by choice, but by the limitations of the human brain. Those who wish to join later are usually looked at as outsiders... even though the game has yet to be released... The game promotes comradeship and team work... but because of this "I was here first" mentality that goes along with creating "social" alliances it is hurting the guilds forming the alliances. Outcasting them into their own "cliques" that will quickly be forgotten about once the first wave of early adopters of the game calms down and people who have never looked at a website or forum post before making their first Guild Wars 2 character, start joining.

So now you have the community split: Those who feel entitled to WvW spots and command and those just joining who would like to play the game they just spent money on mixed with those who didn't join alliances in the first 5 seconds of the game.

This game promotes teamwork and friendships by just showing up. By default you are my ally and I yours.

So I propose a different approach: Let us pick our enemies and declare to SMASH THE EVER LIVING SH*T out of them on sight! And whoever is in the area, will know... HEY IT IS "SO AND SO ENEMY" KILL KILL KILL KILL!!! We as a people fight much harder against a known enemy. So let's make our enemies known!

Then after the game releases and we have had time to play with our own guilds, our members are settled in, we have had time to understand the game a bit better, the WvW has equalized our enemies... then we take it to the people we have declared war on. And we fight hard and long, as we feel the need to smash this mutual enemy!

[​IMG]

Our own guild has felt the pressures of being a "Guild" without a game to play. The anxiety is high, the focus on each other, and smaller drama increases, and that is OK. But trying to balance that on top of 100's of members of "allied" guilds you have no control over, is just a giant clusterf*ck of drama. So Arcanix has decided to take a different route. Of course we want to be part of alliances and organized attacks, but for the first few weeks of the game we will be focusing on us, our members, and the new cool game in-front of us! It takes a lot more effort to keep the alliance good within your own guild so it is strong even in hard times, that being said we declare our own alliance with ourselves for the time being. We will be using the new exciting game as a launching board for just that! We have waited a long time and deserve to be awarded with playtime, not punished with meetings and long forum posts to read. All of these "alliances" and "meetings" and "forums" are going to be EMPTY when the game is out 24/7 because we will all be IN-GAME 24/7 actually bringing the fight to Tyria!

In the end theory-crafting is just that, a theory, and when you get into a game the servers are HIGHLY populated, there are issues with the game due to patching, unforeseen launch hiccups, and you can't get your planned "alliances" into a WvW server to "Dominate" at least you know your ENEMIES are!

[​IMG]

Our first declaration of WAR is with the server: Jade Quarry, we look forward to hopefully getting a chance to fight with swords and magic rather than snap judgement and lashing tongues.

Sincerely,

Guild Arcanix [ARX]

• Like Like x 14
  2. Zakis

Zakis War Priestess

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    Well put sir!

3. Caneco

Caneco

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I always liked to be different. After reading this, I feel quite at home ^.^ lolol. I totally agree. Let's not rush anything. Worth a read to everyone from the guild.

4. Lilo

Lilo Cub, Pye, Bay, Fir, Ona, Myci, Baiy, Eixx

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +68
    Here here!

5. Omgadnowai

Omgadnowai

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +6
    "Your brain begins to get overwhelmed and shut down at the idea of new members, not by choice, but by the limitations of the human brain. Those who wish to join later are usually looked at as outsiders... even though the game has yet to be released..."

What have I missed ? I don't work like that, yet I'm human. I could really use sources, because I'm at a loss and genuinely interested in the concept of restrictive co-operation.

PS: Or maybe I misunderstood the underlying idea.

6. Ludakrit

Ludakrit

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +42
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In-group_favoritism
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_conflict

7. Strange

Strange The Texan.

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +57
    I'm pumped! Feel like I am standing on the battlefield, staring down the enemy, and hearing a moral speech. Kind of a Brave heart feel to it.

Nicely put sir!

• Like Like x 2
  8. Ashley

Ashley

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Well said! -brucethumbsup-

9. Mat'hir Uth Gan

Mat'hir Uth Gan

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Sounds good. Jade Quarry must die.

10. Omgadnowai

Omgadnowai

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks; I understand what's meant, then. However, my point still stands:

Maybe I didn't bond deeply enough and with enough people to feel as though this was a relevant factor in "guilds". I've lost contact with many a person due to taking their rival's side in a petty conflict, repeatedly, and I am wary of majority appeals to an extent such that I'm usually not willing to tie myself much to anyone.

Then again I always viewed guilds as more of a community of like-minded people with relatively loose ties in somewhat of a consensual friendship as opposed to a necessarily tight-knit territorial band. I've passed over guildies' needs if others had requested my help prior to said guild members, and it's caused me trouble in some social guilds, where apparently a guild tag made you subservient to guildies' demands.

These are just anecdotal occurrences, but still I think it goes to show just how little this aspect of psychology actually prevails on an individual level.

11. Strange

Strange The Texan.

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Why has this become a physiological debate? There were good points made and a stance established for Arcanix. This is only going to affect our guild and the enemies we conquer. In plain terms, he says we will not be apart of this crazy, pre-launch theory craft circus.

12. Brown

Brown That Brown Guy

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +67
    It's a game, lets just go have fun and kickass. That's what I say.

• Like Like x 2
  13. tr1age

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +3,245
    Because this is on the front page of ALTTABME.com and I welcome the debate(also some of my points are psychological), hence a comment section If it was meant for the private guild section it would be there. So whatever anyone wants to contribute, they can. = )

I have no idea what was just said here. I feel like big words are being tossed around for the sake of big words = P

Let me summarize it better for you: The human brain is wired to handle 150 meaningful connections Taken from Malcolm Gladwell. So obviously it is up for interpretation. = )

This is me writing about our Guilds stance on Alliances prior to a games release as well as having some fun and declaring war on those who oppose that idea.

So once again FOR FREEEEDOOOOMM!!!!

14. Pierre C.

Pierre C.

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Screaming to the other severs Molon Labe!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Omgadnowai

Omgadnowai

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +6
    There are no big words in what I said, unless the use of adjectives is weird in English. It's not my first language, so I'm just translating as I think is grammatically correct.

As for Dunbar's number, it refers to "meaningful" connections, and I have to adhere to the idea that only a certain amount of meaningful connections can be maintained at a given time. However, that doesn't imply that any connections beyond the predicted "150" have to be hostile and restrictive; you can let people in an Alliance without knowing them personally. In fact, a part of these "150" connections could simply be the multiple guild names within the Alliance. Therefore, without having to deal with individuals (albeit you might prefer to), you can assume a certain level of trustworthiness to guild labels rather than specific people, thus having more than 150 individual Allies.

That already implies a larger network of people in "good standing" with one another; and still it doesn't mean whoever's outside the Alliance is necessarily hostile. This latter belief would have to be a disposition you personally have towards outsiders. At that point, it's not so much a limitation of the human brain as much as it is an acquired belief that people are not worth trusting until proven otherwise. I know I am much more trusting to strangers that most people I know are, regardless of how much I know said strangers, and that is something I developed based on past experiences. Not everyone is as blindly trusting as I am, and I understand where they're coming from; after all, we do live in a heavily competitive society.

That's what I meant when I said that the "brain limitation" was, perhaps, applicable when considering large groups of people, but certainly not in any rigid or definite manner (which you already recognized in your last post anyway, so I'm pretty much typing for nothing).

That being said, I'm shutting up; I think I've already said more than people even care about and, in the process, alienated myself those same people. No wonder I'm surrounded by so many friends /rolleyes.

/wave

PS: I like the approach you're taking, considering the default status of other players is "friendly".

16. tr1age

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +3,245
    To me in the beginning it is more important to consider the people next to you as allies rather than making "cliques" of allies by pronouncing it not actually knowing much about them other than RL theories.

17. Glad

Glad

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I like to take a minority opinion sometimes, just for thinking about and giving representation to all sides of an issue, but in this case, Tristan's emphasis on the importance of internal relationships over obligatory ties to major alliances made up on message boards is dead on.

I don't think anyone was saying that members would be restricted in how they can play or relationships they might build with those outside of the guild, or whether or not we should be friendly, but simply that we don't need to sign on to any huge organized alliances just yet, unless I missed something.

I think joining a major alliance at this time would be a questionable decision for a guild like Arcanix. Not only would that obligate our officers and devert our attention to playing politics with them, but we really don't even know if the big pre-release alliances are going to be a factor once the game has been live for a couple months. It'd be much wiser to coordinate efforts with players on the server that have proven they will be active on the WvW scene, whether they are part of a major alliance, an independent guild, or even PUGs that we meet in game. As for PvE alliances, I'd think it'd be better to wait and see if there is any challenge in this game Arcanix can't handle.

• Like Like x 1
  18. tr1age

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +3,245
    This made me all teary. HERE HERE!

19. Omgadnowai

Omgadnowai

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yeah; considering everyone an ally until any reason arises to consider them otherwise is definitely the way to go... I have a hard time believing people make Alliances in this game, though; I sincerely cannot understand the rationale. At best, you might hope to have a larger player pool from which to find fellow PvErs and PvPers.

I would understand Alliances in a game like, say, Swirve's Utopia text browser war game, where you're apart of a Kingdom, and are at war with every other existing Kingdom. In Guild Wars 2, as you pointed out, they don't quite make sense.

+1 for a solid read anyway, despite all the gibberish I spouted.

20. tr1age

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +3,245
    I think they DO make sense though. I just think they need to implement a better system to show you who your allies are like UO did with the guild stones. Enemies you could go to war with and allies you could alliance with.