Phonbloks a totally customizable phone

Discussion in 'All The Things' started by TIG, Sep 11, 2013.

1. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    This is a project that is trying to get off the ground by showing the big phone industries that it is a wanted thing. The people behind it are trying to get people who will show their support on social media to get those companies who make phones to listen. They will be sending out a message on any social media you sign up on, on your behalf on october 29th. Hopefully it will flood the pages of people who can make this sort of thing happen and show them that it is a wanted thing.

I totally want this phone platform. I linked up my facebook to add to the support. Check out the vid.

here is the signup page if you want to support it.
    https://www.thunderclap.it/projects/2931-phonebloks

• Awesome Awesome x 1
  2. Zakis

Zakis War Priestess

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,020

This is an awesome concept!!!!

3. GameFreak

GameFreak

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +55
    Awesome! Really cool concept add the things that you want and not have to worry about all the other crap

4. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    It would be perfect for me, however I doubt the big companies will try to adopt it. They make way more money by having things disposable. It makes you buy more phones more often.

I do recommend though that you sign up on your social media so the word can get out and possibly get some interest in it.

5. Ginyu

Ginyu Over 9000

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I am now seriously interested in devloping for this. This could be a game changer to let devs see that people acually DO WANT modular electronics.

6. GameFreak

GameFreak

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +55
    I doubt large companies will go in on this too they will have to completely redo how they make phones. But in a perfect world if you could get a large company and get nvidia and some other making the add on's it would be sweet. Sighned up on Facebook hope they can get this out there.

7. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    I personally think the best thing that will come out of this is some company will see the want for this and try to make it outside of the companies that own the ips like ios and android. Hopefully someone can make this and have it be compatible.

8. Zakis

Zakis War Priestess

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,020
    Forgot to mention I signed up as well for the blast on the 29th...BF4 comes outcthat day too haha. Anyway T1Gs all it takes is one company to see the interest and decide to take the leap

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

9. Crake

Crake ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ Stronk

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Really cool concept. It's a bit ugly but I'd definitely get behind this.

10. Euchale

Euchale Crazy German Guy

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +729
    Great idea. But it has more than one button, so Iphone users will be confused. /joke

11. Brigga

Brigga

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Saw this yesterday. I am 100% on board with this concept.

12. Keleynal

Keleynal Jesus Freak

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +998
    It's an interesting salvo from the "open source" thinking crowd. I don't think the "Proprietary" crowd will be too enthused though. Why share profits when you can monopolize the whole phone, hardware and software?

13. tr1age

tr1age [Community Leader] Butterflies!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +3,245
    I saw this yesterday. I was like IMF want until I thought about it. Look in any phone. The pieces don't stack. We also do not have an affordable way to make them stack. As well the logistical nightmare of updating the so called motherboard without a connection. Not to mention the technology to socket as easily as is demonstrated doesn't exist. Also imagine it rains and your entire phone is multiple pieces... You forgot to tighten one. Bam phone dead, face burnt. This thing is an awesome concept.. Ugly.. But awesome. However it needs a LOT more than the concept to happen. It also needs a world where words like monopoly and cooperate equate to money.

Try kick starting this thing hahahhahahhahhahaha.

Anyway, here's to minority report bendable, millimeter thin, waterproof, solar powered phones before this Minecraft phone becomes a reality. Which then, it won't need it.

Oh and did you know apple phones are 99% recyclable? Just sayin as this is supposed to solve that problem.

This is why developers are not programmers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. TIG

TIG I like GOOOOOLLLLD!

Achievement Pts:
    Ratings:
    +1,430
    This phone itself is a pipe dream. I am backing the concept because if there is enough people putting it out there on their social media blast on the 29th then someone who sees the opportunity can come up with something that will be much more user friendly than the systems we have now.

BTW its not about how recyclable existing phones are, its about how easy it is for the user to recycle vs throw away. Most phones are probably fully recyclable, but people don't do what needs to be done to get it recycled. A modular system would make for people throwing out just broken modules vs whole phones imo.